This year the Junior League of San Jose presented the 49th Annual Volunteer Recognition Luncheon at Villa Ragusa on Tuesday April 17, 2018, during National Volunteer Week.
The Volunteer Recognition Luncheon (VRL) brings together over 500 community members to celebrate voluntarism while recognizing individuals who generously give their time, energy and skills to improve the lives of others.
All 100+ nominees received a “Certificate of Appreciation” at the event. In addition, the Crystal Bowl Winners were recognized at the event with the following:
- Professionally produced video of honoree and nominating agency
- Etched Tiffany & Co. Crystal Bowl
- NEW THIS YEAR – $500 stipend for nominating agency
“Voluntarism at Its Best” Award Winner
Phil Mastrocola – Grace Baptist Church
Noticing a great need in San Jose, Phil Mastrocola co-founded Winter Faith Collaborative to organize and train congregations to serve the homeless. Bringing over 30 churches, synagogues and mosques together, he works tirelessly to network and share resources. A homeless advocate for many years, Phil manages a shelter at Grace Baptist every night, providing dinner, a place to sleep, classes and mentoring. He speaks at city hall meetings, raises money and recruits volunteers to help the church and the broader community. Phil’s advocacy work was instrumental in recent policy change, allowing for places of assembly to provide shelter 365 days a year without the onerous process and expense of obtaining permits. Phil is quietly and humbly changing the environment for the homeless and the downtown neighborhoods.
Congratulations to the 2018 Honorees:
Crystal Bowl Award Winners
- Anne Marie Knapen-Asnong – JW House
- Michele Cabania – StandUp For Kids
- Gavin Coffing – Friends of the Willow Glen Children’s Theatre
- Cindy Faulkner – Rotary Club of San Jose
- Magesh Jayapandian – United Way Bay Area
- Anika Kumar- Notre Dame High School San Jose
- Phil Mastrocola – Grace Baptist Church
- Judy & Julie Paulson – Via Services
- Joyce van Reis – Child Advocates of Silicon Valley
- Sylvia Vizcardo – County of Santa Clara Self Help Center/Family Law Facilitators Office
Members’ Choice Award Winner
- Negisa Taymourian – Cisco Connected Women
Kaiser Permanente Thriving Volunteers Award Winner
- PACT: People Acting in Community Together
A special thank you to our generous sponsors:
The Warmenhoven Family Foundation
Laura and Max Duganne
Dawn and Kevin Akeroyd
Bored Dog Productions
Jennifer and Mike Cretella
Michelle & Gary Fisk
Constance Ledna, VP Mortgage Consultant, Union Bank Residential Lending
Meghan MacAskill, The Wild Bloom Studio Photography
Leann Sirkin, Flair Design + Photography
Andrea and Joe Thomas
JLSJ Board of Directors
JLSJ Management Team
Cathleen and Steve Stugard
The Junior League of San Jose (JLSJ) is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
Follow us on Instagram @JuniorLeagueSJ or on Facebook @JuniorLeagueSJ for updates on the League!