TRANSFORMING COMMUNITIES BY CHALLENGING THE STATUS QUO
The Junior League of San Jose (JLSJ) is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
Why join JLSJ? To Live Out Our Vision
Since 1967, the Junior League of San Jose has welcomed women of diverse backgrounds, interests, and talents. As League members, we learn and work together as change agents to improve the greater San Jose community. We dedicate many volunteer hours and financial resources to develop women civic leaders and support community programs that have improved the lives of local families for the past five decades. Since 2016, our community impact focus has been helping transitional age foster youth (TAY) in Santa Clara County successfully transition out of foster care.
We look forward to continuing to serve this area of our community, and we are so happy for the projects we have been able to support so far, including:
- Career preparation: Mock Interviews, Informational Interviews, Excel and Powerpoint Workshops & Linkedin Profile workshops
- Fund development for Scholarship Funding & Laptops
- Events and support for TAY New parents
- Preparing over 150 college care packages each year
Benefits of Joining JLSJ
Our members are given a wide range of training and volunteer opportunities. We offer hands-on education to develop and lead community outreach and support programs, and fundraising initiatives that help advance women’s leadership and improve the community.
As JLSJ members, we share common experiences in:
- Training and Development
- Community Impact
- Meaningful Connections and Networking
Training and Development
Many of our volunteers gain and fine-tune skills, and develop the confidence to become leaders in the community, other nonprofit organizations, and the business sector.
The League offers our members a variety of hands-on training opportunities to develop new skills in a supportive environment. Our members have the opportunity to actively participate in running a non-profit, supporting our members and our mission. Training opportunities include community impact and outreach, fundraising, communications and public education, membership development, volunteer coordination, operations management, and leadership.
Some Training opportunities in recent years include:
- Barriers to Belonging
- Core Communication Skills
- Behavioral Interviewing 101
- Candidly Speaking
Some Fundraising events in recent years include:
- Silicon Valley Trivia Challenge
- Giving Tuesday
- Kendra Scott shop night
- David Yurman shop night
- Kentucky Derby Day Party
JLSJ members receive training to become effective, hands-on community volunteers. Examples of our recent community projects:
- College Care packages for Pivotal Scholars- for the last 3 years we have been preparing upwards of 150 care packages per year for Transitional age youth who are away at college to celebrate their hard work and bring a sense of home to their dorm rooms.
- Parent and Kid socials with the HUB supporting young TAY parents- JLSJ has provided funding for activities and events like Halloween Trick or Treat as well as Thanksgiving and Holiday parties.
- Baby Supply Donation drives to support first-time TAY parents who are navigating the everyday challenges of having a child of their own.
- Partnering with the HUB and the IRS VITA program to help over 70 TAY file their taxes and get critically needed tax refund dollars
Meaningful Connections and Networking
Strong bonds of friendship develop when working together on a League project, attending a training program, enjoying a social event, or participating in a fundraiser.
Some social events in recent years include:
- Top Golf social
- Wine and cheese social
- Paint night
- Family BBQ
- Virtual Cooking Class
- Annual holiday celebration
Interested in joining JLSJ?
For more information, fill out the Membership Interest Form, and someone from the Membership Team will contact you.