The Junior League of San Jose (JLSJ) is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
To create an inclusive, equitable, culturally competent, and supportive environment where League members model behavior that enriches our community.
To address, explore, educate, and respond to the diverse human experience by preparing our League members to successfully understand diverse perspectives and backgrounds by teaching critical thinking, empathy, and a deeper appreciation of others.
DEIB-Specific Membership Goal:
Grow and sustain a diverse membership by building and enabling inclusive environments that welcomes all women who seek civic leadership development opportunities by:
- Increasing the percentage of diverse members within JLSJ membership
- Increasing internal leadership mobility
- Increasing promotion of women of color into leadership positions
- Doubling Black representation in the League
- Doubling the percentage of underrepresented minorities in leadership
- Continuing efforts to increase diversity and inclusion across race, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, cultural background, and religious beliefs
DEIB-Specific Community Goal:
Broaden community impact with a diverse, inclusive, and anti-racist network of organizations by:
- Increasing the number of diverse community partners
- Diversifying the allocation of resources and funding provided to community organizations through JLSJ efforts, including volunteer opportunities and members’ time
- Broadening fund development efforts
- Diversifying engaged vendors and suppliers
- Committing to support female-owned, Black-owned, minority-owned, and women-of-color-owned businesses
DEIB-Specific Leadership Development Goal:
Develop culturally-competent leaders to effectively serve the diverse needs of the League and our broader community by:
- Providing multiple diversity, equity, and inclusion training opportunities
- Increasing the percentage of members participating in diversity, equity, and inclusion events
- Offering training opportunities to prepare members as well-rounded community advisors
- Training completion of a minimum of two workshops by at least 60% of Active members
By the end of the 2024-2025 League year, JLSJ will have furthered our DEIB mission by making a measurable and visible impact towards:
- attracting and retaining membership that reflects our broader community and values an inclusive, respectful culture,
- creating training and programs that meet the diverse needs of JLSJ membership, and
- identifying and addressing barriers to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging within current organizational systems.